Code No.: 403.5
PHYSICAL CONTACT BETWEEN STAFF AND STUDENTS
Purpose: To provide guidelines for contact between staff members and students.
Policy: An employee’s physical contact with a student shall be reasonable and necessary under the circumstances and shall not be designed or intended to cause pain. The employee may use reasonable force for the protection of the employee, the student, or other students; to obtain the possession of a weapon or other dangerous object within a student’s control; or for the protection of property.
Examples of appropriate physical contact by an employee with a student require that the physical contact be reasonable under the circumstances and may involve the following actions by a staff member.
- Protecting the employee, a student, other students, or school property.
- Obtaining possession of a weapon or other dangerous object within a student’s control.
- Preventing an act that is threatening the physical harm of any person.
- Removing a disruptive student from the class, school premises, or off-school premises during school sponsored activities.
- Preventing a student from the self-infliction of harm.
- Restoring order and control to a situation that is both chaotic and dangerous for the health and well-being of students and staff.
The administration shall consider the following factors in determining the reasonableness of the physical contact between a staff member and a student.
- The nature of the misconduct of the student, if any, precipitating the physical contact by the school employee.
- The size and physical condition of the student.
- The instrumentality used in making the physical contact.
- The motivation of the school employee in initiating the physical contact.
- The extent of injury, if any, to the student resulting from the physical contact.
General behavior statements of students are cited in Board Policy and required of Good Conduct.
- Any employee assaulted by a student is to report this assault immediately to the supervisor.
- After reporting to the supervisor and seeking medical attention as necessary or directed, the employee should then fill out an Employee Work Injury Report form. Any witnesses should fill out the Witness Disclosure Form found in Anti-Bullying and Harassment policy #502.9.
Staff members and students who violate the guidelines of this policy will be subject to disciplinary action.